Monday, May 21, 2012

The Loss of a Friend and co-worker

His name is Charles. Charles Foelsch. A family man. A man with a wife, two young girls and a young boy. A hard worker, he was, pulling his shift with Onslow County's Mosquito Control division. And, at shift's end, like so many other people these days trying to make ends meet, he worked a second job, at a marina in Jacksonville (NC). Tideline Marine, it's called. A place where I've enjoyed working (part time) during my retirement years.

Charles always had a smile, always more than willing to help anyone who needed his help. Including me.

Charles didn't like government waste. It irritated him, frustrated him to see taxpayers' dollars sqaundered. And, he made his feelings known. Not a good thing for a government employee to do.

Charles and his wife, Tiffany, were headed out Sunday night, after working at Tideline, to check on an old car. You see, along with two jobs, Charles would fix up worn-out cars and trucks and re-sell them, making a few bucks along the way. Bucks to help support his family. A hard working man, my friend Charles.

On a back road, he met an approaching car. Unfortunately, a deer was struck by the second car, and the carcass was thrown into Charles' windshield. Charles died from injuries in that accident. His wife, Tiffany, was injured, but not critically. Charles would have wanted it that way. Charles was a selfless man, putting others needs and wants ahead of his own.

Last year, when I was looking for a trailer to rent so I could pick up a load of supplies in Charlotte, Charles came to the rescue. He loaned me his trailer, and refused any payment. He said that's the way it is between friends.

In November, when I was preparing to erect almost 100-yards of vinyl fencing, Charles said he would help. Not only did he show up for work, he brought his brother-in-law and their tools. Reminded me of the old days when neighbors and friends gathered for a barn-raising.

In December, he met me at my boat on a Sunday afternoon to install an oil tank below decks, in an area where I couldn't squeeze my 6-2, 200 pound body. Charles was a small man, but only in his size. He did it because that's what he did for friends.

Not many people like Charles around these days. Or, maybe there are, and we fail to notice them. Charles may be gone, but he has left me with a memory of a great man, a humble man, a man with a smile for everyone.

And, you bet. As soon as I get to Tideline Marine, I'll add my token to a collection jar that Bill and Deb have set up. It will never replace Charles, but, hopefully, it will help his family in what has got to be not only a nightmare with the irreplaceable loss of a husband, a father, a friend, but with the real-earthly needs they face right now.

Look around you. There are a lot more Charles out there. Tell them how much they mean to you. How better you are for having known them. Tell them before it's too late. The world can change in a split-second. With absolutely no notice. And, as it was in Charles case, there was absolutely not one thing he could have done to alter the outcome. 

3 comments:

  1. Well written and a great sentiment for a good man. This world needs more people like him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Article, SO TRUE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute to Charles. I didn't know him but, from what has been written in this article, he was a person who always wanted to help people. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete