Thursday, September 19, 2013

Glock or Beretta? Typical Journalistic mis-reporting.

You might wonder why I'm a stickler for such details. In an earlier blog, I questioned initial reports that a "Glock 9mm" pistol and an "AR-15" were used by the Navy Yard shooter, Aaron Alexis. I had no information to the contrary, but I know how reporters think. Too often, they don't.

"Glock" seems to have become the commonplace name for any semi automatic handgun. Never mind that there are countless other brands, one of which is the standard issue handgun for the U.S. military, the Beretta M-9 (the civilian version is the model 92F).

It was only a day or so before police confirmed that the shooter did NOT use a rifle of any kind, including the AR-15. He came armed with a pump action shotgun, one that the FBI now says was "modified" by cutting off a length of the barrel and some of the stock. Presumably, this was done to make it easier to sneak it aboard the base in a bag.

And, pretty much as I expected, the pistol he took from a security officer he shot was, indeed, a 9mm Beretta. Not a Glock.

So, again you may ask, what's the big deal. Or, like ex-Secretary of State Clinton said, what difference does it make. Not much, really. Except, to people like me, who question credibility. Many of us have growing concerns over our president's credibility. A lack of that essential element makes some of us wary of anything the president says. It's becoming increasingly difficult to trust him, and that makes me sad. That is the apparent reasoning behind the negativity coming from the U.S. House of Representatives. And, I understand it. Journalists, those folks we should be able to trust to bring us facts, those we depend on to maintain some balance in this world...well, let me say that it's becoming ever more difficult to believe what they say when obvious factual mistakes have become so commonplace. What difference does it make, indeed.

I've yet to hear those network reporters "clarify" (they'll never "correct" anything) their rush to report misinformation about the AR-15 they were so quick to jump on. And, I don't recall hearing any journalist take Rep. Feinstein to task for her never ending assault weapons ban plan, even while the still warm bodies of 12 people lay in Building 197 at the Navy Yard.

Shame on one. Shame on all. Though I expect nothing less from pundits like Feinstein, I certainly expect a higher degree of factual professionalism from our journalists. You should be more than glad that you're not working for me. Your careers would likely be cut very short.   

No comments:

Post a Comment