Thursday, September 23, 2010

Daily Facts and Opinions

Let's start this off with one of my favorite things to do: fish. As all too many of us do, I talk about it more than I actually do it. Things like work and wind tend to get in the way.
I've loved fishing since I was a kid. In fact I pretty much enjoy all facets of being on the water.
I don't necessarily ahve to actually bring fish home to have had a great day. What I don't bring home to clean, I usually bring home to load into my computer. That would be "images". We called them "photographs" at one time, but it seems that not many folks have prints made from the "images" they capture, anymore. It is, I'll admit, an easy way to share those special moments with friends and relatives, and just anout anyone else who wants to look at them, all over the world. But, until you've had a nice, LARGE print made from a special image, framed it, and displayed it, you're not going to get the full impact of photography.
Whoa, boy! What about that fishing?
Ok, I'll fess up. I ramble from time to time. I get enthusiastic about what I do, and I do and enjoy a lot of things.
So, the king macks are running along the eastern NC coast. I saw a pic of a 40-pounder caught on a pier at Topsail the other day. Nice fish (that's one of the things that just about every fisherman I know says when he sees some else catch a fish).
We've had a pretty good year. My wife, Robie, our brother-in-law, Thurman, and I ahve spent some pretty good days on the high seas. Unfortunately, the wind this year has caused some rather higher-than-normal seas on the days we've had together. Guess that's why Robie wanted us to get another boat. Well, there was that "facilities" thing, too.
Currently, we have three. Yep. Three. A 17-foot Jones Brothers Bateau...great for ICW and river fishing, clamming and oystering. Great shallow water boat. We also have a man's boat, the 25 foot HydraSport center console. A "man's boat" because we don't need as many "facilities" as some. This boat is a tough critter. Two roarin' 175 HP Johnsons will get you to the ocean at 45-plus MPH, carry you safely through those nasty inlets, and put you on fish all the way to the Gulf Stream if you wish. Great hull design! And, finally, we have a Grady White, Marlin 300 (that's a code for 30-footer). Cuddy cabin that can sleep two comfortably. An aft berth will handle two more should I relent and take out all of the essential "spare" fishing gear. Complete with radar, radios, and a 12 inch GPS/fishfinder screen, she's ready for fishing. And, she has "facilities".
Robie and I had to go through an un-naming then re-naming process. If you don't appease the "wind gods", you will never catch fish, and you'll constantly have problems...there is a special ceremony that one must follow. There is absolutely no reason to tempt fate, and we all know that fishermen are a superstitious bunch. And, they're all liars. If you don't believe either, then ask a good fisherman what he carries or wears for good luck in a fishing tournament. And, then ask him where he caught his last big fish (likely, that reponse, if he's the least bit truthful, will only be "in the ocean").
So, there are not too many "facts" to discuss today. At least, not right now. Gotta get back to working on a couple projects I have underway. I just wanted to get this "blog" thing up and running. Stay tuned for more news and opinions, as well as some recipes for cooking (my way), fishing reports, photography discussions...who knows, it's a wide open world out there and a lot of things to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment