Friday, September 24, 2010

Easy Shrimp and Salad

We have a variation of this about once a week. Usually depends on our work schedules.
Prepare whatever salad you like. Last night, I used red lettuce, with some fresh plum tomatoes...pretty much the last from our plants this year...and sliced cucumber. I like thousand island, and I make my own...it's disgustingly simple, and easy to control the taste. More on that in a minute.
Use deveined shrimp. If they're frozen, thaw them thoroughly. Mix up olive oil with lots of garlic. I added some chopped onions ths time, and I kinda like it. In a HOT cast iron frying pan...one that I like for this has those ridges at the bottom...add the shrimp. After about a minute on one side, flip them over. Do the same for the second side. The actual cooking time will vary according to the size of the shrimp, or "scrimps" as they say in Charleston, and how hot your pan is.
Last night, I added the onions and garlic to the top of the shrimp after I flipped them.
Add whatever dressing you like to your salad, place the shrimp around (cover with dressing, if you're inclined), and you have an easy meal. And, one that's pretty healthy.
Ok, for the thousand island dressing. I start with salad cubs...those chopped up sweet pickles that a lot of folks put in their tuna salad. Add mayo (Miracle Whip salad dressing is a tad sweeter than mayo) and ketchup. The amount depends on how you like it and how much you want to make at one time. I usually start with the white stuff, mix it up with the salad cubes, then stir in ketchup until it "looks right". You can add more mayo if you added too much ketchup. Makes for a pretty good salad dressing, much akin to what I remember I got at the old New River Steak House in Jacksonville in the 1960's. A great place, it was, for a great ribeye.

No comments:

Post a Comment