Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Let's Go Fishing. Or, let's take some pictures. Maybe we can just talk. How 'bout a pizza?

So, I've been busy. I thought retirement meant resting, not getting tired and re-tired. But, I am not complainting. I'm having a blast!!!!!

Nice trip, as you've read...I hope...with our friends aboard their sailboat in the British Virgins. Great time to relax, soak up some sun, soak up a little rain. It was all good. And, the food! Wow. Better'n good. I promised, and I will deliver. Some recipes from a week at sea. Coming soon to a blog near you.

Back to now. My pal. Captain Andy Everhart, of Southern Sport Fishing, called and asked me to go fishing the next morning. At oh-something or another real dark-thurty. Not a problem. I was ready. Mostly. And, I needed this trip. Just to get me psyched up.

Off we went, out of Carolina Beach, aboard his 30-something Contender. Headed for Dolphin country. Not the Flipper kind. The mahi-mahi variety.

Early morning. On the water. Can only compare to early evening. More on that shortly.



The attitude here is So-Y-Knot. Not the name of this boat, but my late uncle, a sea captain, took an 8-foot boat from south Florida all the way up north somewhere. Back in the 1960's. He named the little boat So-Y-Knot.

With this, you know its going to be a good day. With or without fish.

Cap'n Andy with what turned out to be a 40 pound amberjack. Good eating, if you know what you're doing.

Now, this is what I'm talking about. Mahi-mahi. Yum-yum.

We found a lot of dolphin. Unfortunately, most were pretty small. They followed us, in large schools, just under the wurface.

A 30-foot Contender has lots of room. Especially when there's Just the Two of Us.
Sorry about that pun.

The pelicans, at dockside, know a good thing. The fish cleaning station brings out the aggressive nature of these big birds.


Pains me to say it. Sort of. Enough fishing. At least right now. A sunset ride down New River from Tideline Marine in Jacksonville (NC) had its moments. Robie, my wife, her sister Suzi, and brother-in-law Thurman (got lots of pics of T-Man over the years...he's another fishing buddy) needed no other excuse than "hey, let's make sure the boat's working good" to head south.
Some pizza (have you tried Carlone's in Jax? Good stuff) and a soft drink, T-Man at the helm (I was shooting pics), and off we go. At a blazing 7 knots.

Robie and Suzi catch a little sunset breeze. Plays havoc with the hair.

Isn't that just way too cool?!? A couple late afternoon chopper pilots heading for the barn at New River Marine Air Station.


Ahhhhhh....we can go home now. I have my picture of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment