Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Midway Through Oyster Season

A delicious shellfish, these things called oysters. I like them all ways. Roasted, steamed, fried, raw, Rockerfeller-style. You name it, I like it. At least, I haven't found any that I have disliked.

Where are the best oysters found? Well, to hear some folks, those from the Chesapeake Bay area are good. I've had 'em, and they are, indeed, right tasty.
A lot of oyster bars serve oysters they get from the Gulf Coast. Ok, I guess they're fine. Unless you can get them from other places. Like the waters of North Carolina.

 
I'm prejudiced, I admit. But, the oysters from 'round these parts, from Marshallberg to the NC-SC line, are ummm-ummm goooodddd. I grew up eating oysters from the New River area, near Sneads Ferry. The small ones, known as coon oysters, are ever so tasty. Much like the Topsail Rock oysters. Then, there are those from the Stump Sound region. Usually a tad larger, they're sought after by oyster enthusiasts in this neck of the woods.


I had some from the Marshallberg area just recently. First time, for me. Salty, nice size, a great oyster. Had them over Christmas. Steamed them for relatives and friends as a snack. Complete with melted garlic butter, our own cocktail sauce, ketchup...and saltine crackers on the side.


First, ya gotta wash 'em. Best to get them un-washed, complete with their mud. Keep them on ice, but not in the freezer, until you're ready to fire up the pot. Of course, if it's cold outside, just keep them in a cool place, out of the sunlight. By "cold", I'm talking about temps in the 30's, up to about 42-43.


No need to use a pressure washer. That would have too much force. Fast running water and some way to keep them stirred up, works well.


For convenience, I use a big pot with a steamer basket. Holds just shy of a half bushel.
The smaller pot has water to add to the big pot, if needed.


A good gas burner is required. Gotta keep the water in the pot hot. Fill the basket, and cover with a lid.


From the pot, to the table. Game on!
A fine specimen!                                  A purr-fect oyster, cooked just right.



My wife, Robie,
                                                     and granddaughter, Allyson, like them....

I managed to knock back a few, as well.


2 comments:

  1. Of course, what a magnificent website and instructive posts, I surely will bookmark your site.Best Regards!
    Department 56 Original Snow Village Christmas At Grandma's Lit House

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my oyster washer on youtube.
    Just google or youtube "oyster washer" and look for the red drum.

    ReplyDelete