Wednesday, May 11, 2011

To Recyle, or Not to Recyle


It's a pet peeve of mine. Not the fact that we should recycle, not the fact that we are MANDATED to recyle. Just the fact that there are some glitches in the system. (And, maybe a few irregularites, as well).

Let's take just ONE example.

The fine folks at the Trash Department, or whatever, for the  City of Jacksonville (NC) tells us, in this case, that we MUST put our recycle bins out where their truck can get them before dawn each Thursday.


Not the first time this has happened, but the first time I've documented it. In detail.

Last Wednesday, prior to 6 pm (that's 1800 for some of you), the recycle bins were rolled out to their usual locations for an anticipated "before dawn" pickup. At 8:30 am, the bins were still there. The fine folks were called and were given that info.

Now, I come into the picture. It's 8:30 Friday morning. The bins are still there, and the pile is growing. I called them. Personally. I was told that the bins were NOT outside in the usual spot at about 4 am Thursday. Not having first hand knowledge of the events up until that time, I said I would check on it.

Well. Well. The owner of the business said that not only were the bins in place before 6 pm Wednesday, they were still there when he left the premises at about 10 pm Wednesday.

Another call to the folks. While the pile continued to grow.



I passed along the info. Never got a call back. I called, again, in the afternoon. I was told that the higher up muckty-muck would be in touch. Let me see. As of Tuesday at 4:30, they were still there. And, as of 5:45 Sunday afternoon, I still had no call. And, the trash pile continues to grow.

So, again before dawn tomorrow, a week later, we'll see how the pile of recycle stuff is handled. However they choose to deal with it, I would think that somebody is asleep at the wheel. And, as Truman said back some 60 years ago, the Buck Stops Here.

Mr. Mayor. Are you getting the message?  

No comments:

Post a Comment