Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gators can be pretty cute. My buddy, Wally the Alligator.

Alligators are interesting creatures. They're survived on this earth for a long, long time. Outlived the dinosaurs and countless other species that faded with time. For whatever reason, they scare the crap out of a lot of people. Maybe it's because we perceive them as ugly, what with all those bumps and craters all over them.

They were hunted, at one time, to near extinction. In some cases, it was for the meat, more often for their hides. Alligator shoes, handbags and belts were considered a good reason to snuff out their lives. What was hideous is that the meat was left to rot.

If you're going to hunt, then you should eat what you kill. Otherwise, take a camera and take pictures. They'll last longer than the shoes, handbags and belts.

One little gator has become camera-friendly. I see him regularly. He's only about two feet long, and he's so ugly that he's cute. Kinda like that Volkswagen "Thing" back in the day. This guy...I've named him "Wally"...loves to pose for my camera. And, with that, I'm posting a few pictures that I've recently grabbed. No doubt, with the onset of colder weather, Wally will find a place to hole up for the winter. And, he may even move on, forgetting all about me. Then, again, he might just find his way back next spring, once he hears me clapping. For some reason, he likes that sound.

That's Wally. He's a little critter. Just over two feet long.


Wally has a big brother/sister, maybe a cousin. This guy is about 5-6 feet long.


He's keeping a wary eye on me. But, that's just his way of making sure I don't get stupid. After all, this area does belong to him. And, his friends. Regardless of what we think.


I think I'll send this image to North Carolina Wildlife. Seems like a pretty cool shot, given the early morning reflections and colors.


That's Wally's bigger buddy. He's hanging out in Southwest Creek, near Jacksonville (NC). A lot of pretty good size alligators are in the backwaters of New River.


Not sure what Wally's up to here. Could be he grabbed some crab bait that got away when I was baiting a trap. Or a wayward fish head. Or maybe, just maybe, he's smiling for the camera.

If you see gators while boating, just keep your distance. They will not chase you down, and they won't flip your boats. But, please, do not feed them. They are wild animals, and there's no reason to make them dependent on us for their food. Keep them off welfare, of they will want more and more so they will have to work less and less.

1 comment: