Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Shrimp or skrimps. Marinated, grilled on my Camp Chef stove.

Our daughter gave me a cool two-burner, gas stove for my birthday a year ago. It's one of those designed for camping or tailgating, or whatever. The legs pop off with a thumb screw. Way too easy. I don't camp a lot. Actually, I don't camp at all. And, I don't tailgate. But. I do cook. This little stove is definitely the ticket, handy for lots of things. Like, when we lost power during Hurricane Irene. I had it set up on our porch, and cooked a pot roast. Nice. Great during the winter when I'm cooking soups or chili or fish stew (as I did while deep frying turkeys last Thanksgiving). On the porch, it adds a bit of heat. Good for my wife's plants that winter over on the porch.

Great, too, during the smmer. Outside, with it's little cover. Keeps excess heat out of the kitchen. And, in the case of seafoods, the frangrances stay outside.

My wife gave me a cast iron griddle for this Camp Chef stove earlier this year. Another birthday gift. It has seen a lot of use. Fits perfectly over a burner. Just like it was made for the stove. Oh, yeah. It was. By the Camp Chef folks.

I've used it for veggies, steaks, and seafood. It's got these little ridges on one side (it's a two sided grill/griddle) that keep the food out of the grease. And, it leaves nice little grill marks.

Now, for those shrimp. Or, as they say in Charleston, skrimps. First, I whipped up a marinade. Light olive oil...enough to cover the amount of shrimp you're cooking. About a tablespoon of either lime juice or lemon juice for every 4 ounces of olive oil. Not a scientific thing. And, finely chop a clove or seven of garlic. You can use a garlic press, if you like. Stir it all together. Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Add the shrimp to the marinade. Stick in the fridge while you get the stove ready.

I also add a couple cloves of garlic to a small pot, like the one in the picture (a Christmas gift, by the way. My people know what I like). Along with a stick of real butter, not that one-molecule-away-from-plastic margarine stuff. Let it melt, slowly, on the stove's second burner. A handy thing to have, by the way.
Skewer the shrimp on bamboo skewers. You can wet them, if you like. But, it's not necessary. The shrimp we got were medium large. It took only 5 or 6 per skewer.

The griddle should be hot, but not too hot. I use a lower setting on the burner. You want to cook the shrimp, not scorch them. Besides, they'll get tough if you overcook 'em, and that's easy to do if the griddle is too hot.

This is where the garlic-butter comes in. Brush it on the top side of the shrimp. Notice the tails are already beginning to turn pink.


Watch them carefully. When the bottom side is approaching pink throughout, it's time to flip 'em over.

Brush this side with the garlic-butter concoction. You may have to rearrange the skewers on the griddle to cook them evenly. It won't be long, now. DO NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE! They can cook quickly, then turn leather-y.

These delicacies make a perfect addition to a tossed salad. You can eat them just like this, or use cocktail or tartar sauce, maybe a little wasabi on the plate, for dipping. They go great with a small steak that you can also cook on this griddle.

This shrimp is right. Pink with the hint of a grill mark. And, abso-lute-ly tasty.
By the way, this is NOT an ad for Camp Chef. I like mine, of course, just thought you might want to know what I'm using.

No comments:

Post a Comment