Monday, April 11, 2011

I Just Wanted Some Ribs

Had to pick up two, count ém, just two things today. Didn't work out too well. Or, did it? As always, I browsed the meat section. And, lo and behold! I found some pretty good lookin' baby back ribs. We like the baby back ones. Seem to cook up better for us. And, boy, are they tasty.

Of course, I rubbed them in our special Double-R rub. It's something my bride, Robie, came up with a few years back. Got a nice little kick, therefore one must be careful not to rub one's eyes after rubbing the ribs. Or steak. Or fish. It's good stuff and goes with just about anything that needs a good rubbing.


Now, time to get the big smoker up and running. I use a bit of charcoal, starting it in a chimney to cut down on those emissions, and eliminate that charcoal lighter fluid taste. Then, I add wet oak wood (or peach, or apple, or hickory...) to get some smoking action going.

This is the Smokin' Rig
Add the ribs, meat side down, for a bit...to help sear the outside.

At this point, I ususally add just a bit of a homebrew vinegar base BBQ sauce. Creates a little moisture and some steam.


After a half hour, or so, I flip the racks, and give the mess about four hours of slow smoking. I do rotate the ribs from time to time, just to make sure they get some even cooking. I don't know that it makes any difference, but it gives me something to do.

The neighborhood smells pretty good when the ribs are cooking. EvinRude, our cat, keeps looking outside, wishing he could get a taste.


Notice the reflective collar? He hates it. And, the noise makers. He much prefers the stealth mode. Makes it easier, for him, to blend in with the dogs when we let them outside. When we're not paying attention, he'll sneak out right along with them. Yes, he is, without a doubt, a devil cat. A sneaky one, too. The collar makes it easier, at night, to see him when we shine lights around the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment