Thursday, April 14, 2011

Talk About Talent!!!!! Last Post, aka Taps.

I've heard some great musicians over the years. Seen ém in person and on TV. Played a lot of their records (yep...those vinyl thingies). Petula Clark, The Beach Boys, Bobby Goldsboro. A wide range of music. And, next week, I get to see, finally, Jimmy Buffett. I've played a lot of his music over the years. Always liked it. I'm looking forward to his concert.

That said, I don't believe I've ever heard anything as demanding of my full attention as the sounds this little 13-year old lady generates. I loved Pet Clark, in her heyday, her powerful voice (she's just a tiny thing, all of five feet tall); The Beach Boys, a different sound, but catchy. Goldsboro's Honey was such a good song. And, watching Frank Sinatra in concert was such a thrill. Having an opportunity to be back stage with Old Blue Eyes, to shoot photos, was a thrill unto itself. No doubt, Buffett will be as good as I imagine him to be.

For those who have never heard Taps played from beginning to end, you are in for a treat. I just wish I had some BIG speakers and a vinyl recording of this.

A bit of history. Tapes was written in 1801, and was entitled Last Post. It was lengthy, as you'll hear. Traditionally played on a bugle, military-style, it was shortened to 24 notes in 1860-something.

Turn ém on, turn ém up! Last Post. Performed by Melissa Venema on a trumpet.
http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment