Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ex-Senators and Congressmen on the payroll

I got it all wrong when I was deciding what I should do for a living. I have changed horses so many times over the decades, mostly because I got bored, or I saw what I thought was a better opportunity. I don't regret my career path.

 BUT. (We all have a but in our lives)

If I had been smart, or cunning, or sneaky, I would have included a two year, or less, stint as a U.S. Congressman. My advice to you young folks is simple. Get yourself elected, doesn't matter from which state, and serve one term. For U.S. Congressmen, that's two years; for Senators, it's six. Then, declare that you're not going to seek re-elcction. You still get the same salary as though you were working. And, the same health care benefits. And, if you're smart, you'll volunteer to travel to great vacation destinations, at taxpayers' expense, of course, to convince the people of these fine spots how great the United States is. You might even be empowered to promise them aid, i.e. more taxpayers' dollars, just to show them how great we are. Of course, you'll be on the government's expense account.

What a racket!

Ever wonder how many of these former statesmen are actually still getting paid? I have. So, I checked up on it. As of early 2011, there were 161 former U.S. Senators, and 264 former U.S. Congressmen on the payroll. And don't forget, they still get the best health care that you and I can furnish them.

Ok, so you get yourself elected or appointed to congress at age 30. Suppose you don't even serve a full term. For one reason or another, you just don't want to do it anymore. You still get paid, for life. And, you can get on with yours. At my expense.

Sheila Sloan Frahm (born March 22, 1945) served in the U.S. Senate as a Republican from Kansas for a brief period in 1996, reports Wikipedia. She was appointed to fill the unexpired term of Bob Dole when he resigned to run for president. She ran in a special election, but was defeated. But, she had served in the U.S. Senate, and is a former Senator. Do I need to spell it out?

I'm still amazed that the people who work for us are able to decide how much money they're going to get paid. On every job I've ever had, the people who hired me decided how much money they'd give me. If only I could have set my own salary, and work as little as our elected officials do, and continue getting paid after I left that job...talk about sweet. And, to add a bit of salt to your open wounds, these former congressmen and senators can take on additional government jobs, as governors and the like, and get even more of your tax dollars.

Give that some thought as you write out those checks to the Infernal Revenue Service this week.

2 comments:

  1. I had heard about this about a year ago, and I was mad! We are in the hole by trillions and we are still paying the former congressmen and former senators. They will let these young men and women go over seas and put there lives in jeopardy so they can come home to get medical benefits through the V.A. My husband gets his through them and trust me when I say those people don't know what they are doing!
    I think all the former senators and former congressmen should have their pay halted and if they want medical benefits then they can go through the V.A. like all the soldiers do! We could save millions just by stopping their pay and medical benefits! I'll bet the V.A. would actually get some good doctors then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. All ex government officials should have to work like the rest of the poor people and have to pay for their own medical. We no longer have insurance and can't afford it on social security and to young for medicare. So if all the people in the US would stick together and get some kind of petition out there and stop this abuse of our money. Then maybe we could get out of debt.

    ReplyDelete