Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pot-less Chuck Roast, Roasted Vegetables

No doubt, if you're not a vegetarian, you've had that scrump-dee-lee-ishus pot roast for Sunday lunch. You know, the chuck roast that was slow cooked for about an hour before adding onions, carrots, taters, and celery.

Always a good, reliable and relatively inexpensive way to feed a few folks. The leftover remains also make a fine base for soup in a day or two.

There are a lot of recipes out there for this Pot Roast. All are about the same. I just can't figure out whether the pot in pot roast is because it is cooked in a pot (which mine ain't), or whether it's 'cause the concoction contains a buncha potatoes.

Either way, this one is POT-less. There are no taters (well, mostly), and it's cooked in a deep stainless frying pan. With a lid.

First step is to dust a nice chuck roast with flour. Take a note of the garlic cloves.


I add a little olive oil to my pan, get 'er good and hot, pour in a touch of wine (adds some neat steam and it makes it look like you know what you're doing), then sear the roast on ALL sides. Top, bottom, and the edges. Keeps the juices in, I'm told.


Back to my cutting board. Afte searing, I carve little slits on one side of the roast. Deep enough to stuff all those cloves of garlic I mentioned earlier. A half dozen, maybe 10. Whatever you like. I like garlic. My heart (and yours) likes garlic.



This little jar contains our special, super-secret blend of herbs and spices. Double-R, we call it. For Robie and Raeford. 11 ingredients. Makes a great rub. You can come up with something you like, pick up some Old Bay or another rub you've used before, or bribe me for our recipe. It's great, by the way, on steaks, ribs, fish...good stuff on the grill! I rub the rub into the roast. Depending on your selection, you may need to add pepper and salt. Our rub is all-inclusive.


Did I mention onions? Goes without saying. For a medium size roast, I cut up two, and cover the roast with them. Add a bit of beef stock. If you don't make your own, you have a couple choices. Add water and beef cubes, or go to the beef stock box or can. Add enough to cover the meat about half-way. Once it starts to boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to let it simmer.

Lucky me. My wife has a rosemary TREE! Yep, it's about 5-feet tall, and I can get fresh rosemary any-time I want. A nice sprig, sdded to the roast, is purrfect.


In 'bout an hour, add a half dozen carrots (sorry Diane...that's my neice. She hates carrots). They can be whole, or...as I do...cut them about an inch-and-a-half long. To this, add 6-8 stalks of celery, cut into 4-inch lengths.

Note: there are NO taters here. Potatoes only add a lot of stuff that is not good for you. Except for the skins. Stay tuned.

Cover and let it continue to simmer.


I've already talked about carrots, onions  and celery. You'll note here a couple peppers, read and green, some banana peppers, squash, zucchini, and...yes...two baking potatoes.

Here's the skinny. I chop the green and red peppers, and another onion, into large chunks. About an inch, or so. I dice the banana peppers. I slice the zucchini and yellow squash into half inch pieces. AND, I peel the potatoes! Shades of Beetle Bailey. Ok, so ask your dad or grandfather (if they did KP duty) about peeling potatoes. Difference here is that I keep the peelings and throw the potato meat into the trash.


I use a round cookie pan. I'm sure that any shaped pan will do as well. Spray the bottom with olive oil. I say SPRAY. If you don't have one of those little sprittzer things, it might be a good idea to get one.They're pretty handy. Place those cut, chunk'd, sliced, diced veggies, including the potato skins, on the pan. Arrange, for looks, if you like. Spray them, season them with your favorites...salt, pepper, whatever your liking.


350-degrees. 40 minutes before you intend to eat. In the oven. You can "spritz" them in about a half hour, if it makes you feel better.


Takes about two hours, total, to cook this meal. Meat's done. Onions, carrots and celery in the pan. Great gravy for those of you (like me) who like that kinda stuff. Tender, juicy. Yumm. Cut thin strips. It tastes better. The veggies are tender, yet still have a little crisp to them. As long as you don't cook them too long. Makes for a great meal. Hope you enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment