Monday, January 31, 2011

Clam Chowder. A recipe I tried that is bettern'usual. First, you take an onion

Let's face it. I love seafood. I like to catch it, clean it, and cook it.
Sometimes, though, I don't actually catch it, due to "conditions".
And, I'm always trying new ways to do all of the above.
That's why I try new baits, rigs, line...you name it, and tell me it works, and I'll likely try it. And, the way I work, I'll think of a modification that I think "could work even better". (Still trying to come up with a mousetrap that out-traps the Victor ones).

So, I tried a variation on preparation for clam chowder. And, if I do say so myself (and, I do), it's pretty darn good.

First, as always,
You take an onion.

In this case, I took two. I chopped them up into medium size chunks.
I fried five (5) slices of bacon.
I diced one medium potato (I am not a fan of "tater-filled-soup").
And, I peeled two medium potatoes, kept the skin, and discarded the rest (yep, I know...I'm "special").
Dice two stalks of celery.
Dice up an anaheim pepper (bell pepper if you can't find the anaheim). Feel free to use additional peppers, if that's what you like. Do not over-pepper...you don't want to disguise the taste of the clams, you want to ENHANCE it.
I opened three cans of Snow's CHOPPED clams. Pour the liquid into a bowl or some container.
I cut about four ounces of crab CLAW meat from a container of frozen crab meat. Use fresh if you can get it.
I cut about four ounces of crayfish, crawfish or crawdad tails (same difference, just different names) from a frozen package...yes, it's available at Super WalMarts.
Assemble salt, crushed red pepper, Old Bay, fila, tyme, can of chicken stock or more clam juice, and a medium carrot


Procedure

Pout the bacon grease into a pot...I like stainless ones, but feel free to use what you want.
Dump the diced taters in, and turn burner to medium high.
When the potatoes begin to sizzle, indicating the pot is hot, add the clam juice.
When it starts to boil, add half the onions.
Then, add the remaining liquid...chicken stock, clam juice, or combination.
Add celey, the potato skins, and the anaheim pepper.
Sprinkle in a couple dashes of salt, maybe a little (very little) crushed red pepper, a sprinkling of Old Bay, a bit of tyme and a very little bit of fila (not always available...not totally necessary). 
Now, it's time to add the seafood. Crawdads first, followed by the clams, then the crab meat.
If you like your chowder thick, then don't add a lot of liquid, or add a gumbo-type roux mix.
If you like yours soup-ier, then add more liquid. Water...good old tap water...works nicely for this.
REDUCE THE HEAT!!!!
Add the remaining onions...I like to have a little crunch when I take the first lovin'spoonful. 
The meat is done. You just need to heat it up, and allow the individual flavors time to merge.
Taste it once.
Taste it twice.
Add seasonings ever so slightly, until the flavors are just right.
Oh, yeah. The carrot. But, only if you're not my niece (she hates carrots).
I use a vegetable peeler. Once the carrot is totally undressed from its skin, cut small chunks with the peeler; of, if you want to make it look "pretty", slice small pieces, an inch or so long, and leave them floating on top.
If you don't like to see carrots on top, then don't use them. Feel free to sprinkle on some parsley.
Serve with French or Italian bread...I like mine with melted garlic butter.
Good eatin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment