Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's a Day to Look at Pretty Pictures

Just because.
That's why.
From time to time, I like to look back at photos I've taken. Over the past week, month, year...or longer. Not that they're great. Partially because they bring back memories. But, mainly because I like looking at nice scenes.
So...here goes. I may include some info, but I am not going to bore myself (let alone anyone else who decides to take a look) with one of those "slide shows" we were often forced to view.


































A few snaps from 2010. Just a few of the "I have no idea how many I actually took" files. A fishing trip, if we're not catching many fish, might net a lot of pictures. Hey, if the fish ain't bitin', I gotta do something. And, as it was with a trip to Fontana, a fog bank rolled in over the stream, and there was no way I couldn't shoot. Or, even a test ride downriver and a beautiful osprey on her nest. Who could pass it up? Robie, my wife, has said one of the worst things about "being with you" is that "you're always taking pictures of  me". Well...(that's all I'll say on that topic).
Point is, my camera is always with me. How many times have you said "oh, what a great picture, or it would be IF I had my camera". I guess those cell phone pictures are better than nothing. Wait! I didn't say that, did I? Actually, they aren't. That "great" shot, captured only with a cell phone camera, is so, so very limiting. Sure, you can show it to your friends. On your cell phone. Hopefully, they've got good eyes and can see it as you remembered it.
Cameras are cheap. Images are precious.
I will admit that some of my "photos for hire" assignments do allow me to have access to areas that provide better than average opportunities. I'll dig through some files and post a few from a day aboard the nuclear submarine, USS North Carolina. A day at, and below, the sea. And, some of the most feel good pictures came when I was shooting a tall ship as she was hoisting her sails, headed out to sea. 
One day, soon. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Raeford,
    I looked over all the shots and loved them all, especially fond of the Cabin in the mountains? Virginia or NC?

    Regards
    Bud Dowdey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bud. The cabin, fog and butterfly pix were taken in July near Fontanna Village in the North Caroloina mountains.

    ReplyDelete