Monday, January 3, 2011

USA Today Gun Poll...or, the reason Japan did not invade the US Mainland

I'm kinda catching up on the Daily Facts and Opinions...a 24 hour bug knocked me down for a couple days, and Christmas ate up some other days. Interesting on coming up on Ann-Margaret and the Viet Vet. Stay tuned.

Interesting results, so far, on a USA Today poll:
Does the second amendment to the Constitution give people (that's "us", ya'll) the right to own guns?

When I voted...yeah, guess how I voted...97% thought that our founding fathers were smarter than the excuse for political leaders we have today are.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickquestion/2007/november/popup5895.htm

As I have written before, there were reasons that those who drafted the Constitution wrote safeguards into it. They had experience with oppressive governments and individuals, and their message was clear:
Don't Tread On Me.

The Second Amendment doesn't REQUIRE that every citizen own a gun. Though, some say, that would't be such a bad idea. It does give every CITIZEN, with a few exceptions...convicted felons, drug abusers, etc...the RIGHT to own one.

WWII Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
 
I guess our Second Amendment had more of an impact than some of you thought.

How do you react when you hear your rear window breaking at 2 am? Authorities tell us to "Call 9-1-1". I agree. You should. But, realize that once you actually find your phone and dial the number, it can take several rings before it's answered, and your immediate greeting will be "9-1-1, do you have an emergency?".  The call takers must ask that, because, though it's hard to believe, some people call just to chat about anything other than emergencies.

Point is, the clock is ticking. Imagine that you're a crook, desperate and mean enough to break into an occupied house in the middle of the night. That's a dangerous person, let me tell you. He will be acting fast, and he doesn 't want to be caught or confronted. To make sure the he's not, he is prepared to do anything.

In most metropolitan areas, police brag about their "response time" to emergency calls. Three minutes might sound like it's pretty quick, it's just 180 seconds. But, keep in mind, the three minute clock doesn't start ticking until the officer actually gets the call. The 9-1-1 call-taker decides what the priority of the call is, then routes it to the appropriate dispatcher. The "radio dispatcher" then decides what emergency unit to contact, and radios that car.

How long has it been? Try it sometime...except, of course, don't actually diall 9-1-1. Have someone make a noise loud enough to wake you up, start your stop watch, locate your phone, dial a "friend", wait at least three rings before you start talking, explain your situation, then wait 3-4 minutes for the grand arrival. Do you suppose the crook is waiting around, twiddling his thumbs?

I'm sorry. I'm not willing to wait that long. In three to five, or more, minutes, I could be toast. Yes, I'll call 9-1-1, but ONLY after I've made absolutely sure that no harm is going to come to my family or me. How I encure our safety depends, solely, on the intruder.

Don't get me wrong. Not everyone should take such steps. Even if you own a gun. If you haven't become knowledgeable in it's use, and know the basics of the self-defense laws, you might get yourself into hot water, with either the bad guy or with the law. It's like owning and operating a car. You gotta play by the rules.

Just my two cents worth. I eagerly await yours.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment