Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm Starting a Rebellion. Want to join in?

Yep. I am. It's going to be a personal one. But, I'm inviting all who want to have some fun, and maybe get a little personal satisfaction, to join in.

Another one of those e-mails making the rounds has spurred me into action. You know,  like the one that calls for every American to boycott all Exxon and Mobil stations, and never buy gas from them. They (actually "they" is only one) would soon feel the pinch and start reducing their gas prices. At least, that's the theory behind the proposed boycott. If they reduce gas prices, then other dealers would have to follow. I'm not sure if that would work, but, in theory, it does sound good. It is a fact that dealerships monitor each other in certain parts of town. Back in my journalistic days, one of the biggest dealers in Wilmington (NC) told our reporter that they checked competitors' prices in different zones of the city, and adjusted their prices accordingly. That is why you see pockets of stations in different parts of your community where the prices  seldom vary more than a penny or two. Across town, though, the same companies have a different "set of prices". Price fixing? Nawwww. That would never happen.

Anway, back to the topic. We all complain about it, and comedians make fun of it, even one company uses it as part of it's advertising campaign. When you call a toll-free customer service number, especially after regular hours, you're likely to reach a guy in India. You know. Peggy. U .S. based companies are outsourcing their customer service/complaint calls to the cheapest bidder. It must be a heckuva deal for them, given the cost of international calls. I can't even imagine how little Peggy is paid when he tries to talk me through problems with my H-P printer. He must be working for pennies per hour.

So, here's what we can do. You, and me (or, is it "I"?). And, according to the circulating feel-good e-mail making the rounds, it will work. Whenever you  call your bank, a cable or satellite provider, or any other company and end up with what is obviously not a real Peggy, politely ask to be transferred to a representative in the United States of America. Do not just say America. Mexico, Canada, Nicaragua, Chile...you get the picture...are ALL in America. North America, Central America, or South America. Specifiy the good old USA.

Likely, Peggy will give you some grief, and offer to transfer you to a supervisor. Don't be fooled by that. It's another Peggy. Insist, but do it politely, to be re-routed to a representative inside the USA. Eventually, you'll get there. Here.

The theory is simple. At some point in time, if enough of us are making such demands, we will overload the companies' USA call centers, and they'll have to add personnel. With forced early retirements, with layoffs, with unemployment at 10-percent, who knows. We might just make a difference.

That aside, and just because I am like I am...no apologies to anyone for that...I think I'll look up all of the customer service numbers I can find for every product I own, and give this a whirl. Even if I don't have a complaint. Maybe I want to know, from HP, why I have to plug my laptop in to charge my battery when it plainly says the computer is a wireless model. Same thing for my printer. "I bought it because it claims to be wireless, but I still have to plug it in. Why? Am I doing something wrong?"

Let my personal rebellion begin! As with all good rebellions, though, I need a battle cry of some sort. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment